Schizophrenia and Smoking [WLOs: 1, 2, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 4, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 11 and 12 in your course textbook, which cover the biological basis of emotion, addiction (substance abuse disorder), and disordered behavior. It is known that the rate of smoking behaviors in schizophrenia occurs at a higher rate than the general population, and there are many theories in the research literature that have tried to explain this connection. In this discussion, you will analyze the high rate of smoking in those diagnosed with schizophrenia compared to the general population.
In your discussion, be sure to
· Discuss the neurobiology of nicotine use disorder, nicotine dependence, and smoking behaviors as a substance use disorder.
· In addition, describe the relationship between the neurobiology and psychological factors in schizophrenia and the connection to smoking behaviors.
o Include information on brain structures, neural pathways, neurotransmitters/receptors, and genetics in schizophrenia, as well as how psychological factors may affect the prevalence of smoking in this population, as well as the success of smoking cessation interventions.
You must use a minimum of one peer-reviewed and/or scholarly source that was published within the last five years, documented in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Your post should be a minimum of 250 words. You may cite and reference your textbook, required or recommended reading, or multimedia, but these will not fulfill the source requirement.
· Make sure to use terminology from the DSM-5 for psychological/behavioral health conditions and current terminology from professional sources for neurological conditions. Please be sure to access the DSM-5 directly in our library. For further information view The DSM-5: Accessing and Using the DSM-5 in the Ashford University Library (Links to an external site.) screencast on how to access and use this resource, and how to cite and reference the DSM-5.
Respond substantively to a minimum of two of your classmate’s original posts. Address the neurotransmitter/receptor systems and/or neuroanatomical structures involved in both nicotine use disorder and schizophrenia, and comment on the research analysis of your classmate. In addition, please observe the following guidelines for all responses:
· Provide a courteous and interactive learning environment.
· Continue to monitor the discussion board throughout the active learning week and reply to anyone (instructor or classmate) who has chosen to respond to your original post.
· Your responses should address (at minimum) the neurotransmitter/receptor systems and/or neuroanatomical structures involved in nicotine use disorder and schizophrenia, care interventions, and the research analysis of your classmate.
· Each response should demonstrate that you have read the existing replies on the board (in your response, mention information and viewpoints already expressed by existing responses to the same post).
The post Respond substantively to a minimum of two of your classmate’s original posts. Address the neurotransmitter/receptor systems and/or neuroanatomical structures involved in both nicotine use disorder and schizophrenia, and comment on the research analysis of your classmate. appeared first on nursing writers.